Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ahead of my Kids

I don't know everything there is to know about technology.  I don't even know more than some other moms, I'm sure.  But I know more than my kids do, and my entire goal is to keep it that way.  Considering one of my kids is already a teenager, I think I'm doing well most days.

We added unlimited texting to our cell phone plan a few years ago because our (almost teen at the time) daughter was begging us to.  We made it one of her Christmas presents, along with a new phone.  In our current billing cycle, she has sent and received 123 texts to my 744.  A few years ago, I was one of those who couldn't imagine texting other than to keep up with my teenagers, but obviously, I've embraced it much more than my daughter.

I usually don't get new technology first, and I don't just go for the most popular thing out there.  I love to research.  I love just keeping up with tech sites like Engadget, Life Hacker, Android Central, CNET, Gizmodo, Popular Science, and MacWorld.  The most recent magazine I subscribed to is Laptop.

I've never liked programming, and I don't want to know all the inner workings of my cell phone, computer, or TV.  But, if I need one of them to do something or need to solve an issue, I'm willing to search the internet until I find a solution that works for me.  And I'm willing to help other people with this also.  Just ask my neighbor whose phone I recently installed a new keyboard on.  Just ask my father-in-law who calls regularly with questions about his phone and computer.

I also don't tend to jailbreak, root, or otherwise do things to my gadgets that would void the warranties.  It's not that I can't do it (believe me, there are easy step-by-step directions posted all over), but that I am a rule-follower in general, who wants the warranty intact should I have any issues and need to insist on a repair.  However, I'm all for side-loading apps, installing OS updates from the manufacturer before my provider sends them over the air, etc.  And don't worry if you have no idea what I just said - my hope is that I can explain some of these things in non-technical terms in upcoming posts.

I think part of why I have gotten so into electronics gadgets is because I have always liked little things.  I was the kid who couldn't bring myself to eat Cornish game hens just because they were so little and cute.  I remember vividly dreaming about a TV that I could fit in my hands and carry around wherever I wanted to watch shows on the go.  I didn't even think to add a phone into that, but look how far we've come since my childhood!  My absolute favorite toy as a child was the tape recorder I got the Christmas I was six years old.  It was small enough to carry around with me, and it could record whatever I wanted!  It was nearly magical in that it made me believe in Santa Claus just a little longer - he'd recorded a message just for me to discover Christmas morning!  I even always dated taller guys, perhaps in part to make me feel smaller.  One of the best compliments Darrell gave me while dating was calling me miniature.  Yes, I know this probably all sounds kind of weird to some people.  Oh well, it's me.

So, I don't know where this is all heading.  But I love tech gadgets and I like to write.  And until I find a job and maybe after that, I'm not writing nearly as much as I'd like.  Perhaps it will start to fizzle the way it feels like my marriage blog has.  Perhaps it will continue on and I'll be helping some friends and people I don't even know along the way.  I hope it's the latter, but I've learned to be fairly content with most of what falls my way in life these days.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment